Thursday, October 27, 2011

Fashion in Films (Audrey Hepburn Classics) : Funny Face





     There is something about Autumn that just makes me want to snuggle in bed and watch the classics like The Wizard of Oz and It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown. But of course it wouldn't be complete without the Audrey Hepburn series of classics. While her role as Holly Goligthly in Breakfast at Tiffany's cemented her position as the one of the greatest actresses in cinema as well as a fashion icon (you cannot associate the LBD without Audrey Hepburn) my absolute Hepburn favorite was when she played the bookish type turned supermodel Jo Stockton in the musical Funny Face. I want to become a fashion editorial stylist someday so it's important for me to form a foundation of iconic references to draw from and what's more fitting than a classic Hepburn film about a high fashion magazine shooting an editorial spread in Paris? tres chic, yes?

     This 1957 film also stars Fred Astraire as the photographer and love interest, Dick Avery and Kay Thompson as the editor in chief of Quality magazine, Maggie Prescott, who was rumored to resemble former Vogue editor in chief Diana Vreeland. The plot of the film revolves around the accidental discovery of Hepburn's character as a result of a guerilla photo shoot in a book shop where she worked. She was then made the new muse and face of Quality magazine and quickly whisked away (after a brief convincing via a musical number) to Paris, France where the fictional couturier Paul Duval was to design an entire collection dedicated to the this so called "Quality woman" who will model the clothes in a fashion show as well as be photographed in a high fashion editorial spread to be featured in the magazine -- which of course was my favorite part! 




     The editorial spread which featured a total of eight looks -- from a timeless black A-line frock to a wedding gown -- were completely separate from the pieces that were shown in the fashion show. And thanks to Hollywood's most iconic costume designer, Edith Head, this film has the same profound impact as the costume design in Breakfast in Tiffany's in motion picture fashion history, despite the fact that the latter was released four years after this film. Breakfast at Tiffany's can have the Little Black Dress, but this film featured other timeless pieces such as the trench coat, ballet flats, turtleneck, and of course, the skinny black jeans which inspired Gap to produce the Audrey Hepburn Pant (basically black skinnies) in their 2006 "Keep it Simple" campaign which was inspired by her dance number in that smokey cafe in Paris.  
















trench coat

black skinny jeans, flats, & turtleneck


Love, KB



1 comment:

  1. Sincerely i was so crushed when my wife left me and moved to Texas to be with another man. The pains was just too much for me to bear that I couldn't just bear it anymore. I traveled to greet my friend and his family during Christmas celebration then i explained to him, how my wife has abandon me and my children for a period of time and be with another man, and my friend told me about prophet ehiagwina the great spell caster who had helped him in the past before, when i contacted him with his email via prophetehiagwina@gmail.com i explain to him, how my wife has been with another man for two year now and that's the problem am facing in my marriage now and i need to end it by killing that man who took my wife spiritually, and i don't want to make use of assassin because it will be risky so i needed to do it in a spiritual way that's why i decided to contact him, he assured me not to worry as i have contacted the right person at the right time, i co-operated with him and in less than a week he died, he slept and never woke up, and truly my wife came back apologizing that she never knew what came over her my wife apologize to me and we are happy family now. all thanks to prophet ehiagwina you can contact PROPHET EHIAGWINA for any death spell, such as killing your superior in the office and take his or her place.spell for increase in salaries, spell for promotion at the office, spell to get your ex lover back, if things is not working well in your life then you need to contact him now via email prophetehiagwina@gmail.com or add him on whatsapp +2348139182295

    ReplyDelete