Thursday, January 19, 2012

25 Days of Style: a Fashion Blog series -- Day 9



     During my magical summer in New York City last year, I bought this black I Heart NY tee from a really nice street vendor who thought that I played tennis because I looked "athletic" (volleyball not tennis, but flattering nonetheless.) It's the number one souvenir in NYC so of course I couldn't leave without buying one (or at least every time I'm in the city.) I've only owned a white one, so the moment that it was mine I knew I wanted to wear it with a military jacket, but couldn't clearly visualize the rest of the outfit, because an ensemble that includes a military jacket can get really 'military' in a literal sense, really fast. Just because you have a military jacket doesn't mean that you pair it with your combat boots. 

     It wasn't until I was shopping around for new sunglasses did I come across an image of Nicole Richie, in a House of Harlow Chelsea cat eye sunglasses, wearing denim shorts and black opaque tights, did the ensemble slowly come together in my head. And since military jackets are usually associated with images of ruggedness (I usually think of the Marc Jacobs grunge era) and truth be told, a certain sloppiness with an accompanying unpleasant smell, I knew that I wanted to make the look as clean and polished as possible. So instead of frayed denim shorts, I made sure that I went for this really nice pair of denim cut-offs that are cuffed at the hem.  And with the addition of this new peter pan crystal necklace from last weekend's shopping adventure (I'm obsessed with this necklace, I want to wear it everyday) the look is finally complete. A sparkly collar always makes things that much more chic. 

     But I didn't tell you the best part! I lovelovelove this military jacket because of the drawstring adjustment inside jacket, which help modify and highlight the waistline. This is great because this tiny adjustment completely changes the silhouette of the look into something more tailored and flattering. Without it, the jacket would be shapeless and without form which may work against the nice curves of your body. 

Love, KB
















I <3 NY tee from an NYC street vendor
military jacket from Banana Republic 
denim shorts by H&M
opaque tights by Express
black wedge booties by Steve Madden 
peter pan crystal necklace by BCBG Max Azria 
two finger ring by Forever 21 
handbag by Chanel  

2 comments:

  1. Love this outfit! The elements SEEM like they wouldn't work together, but they totally do, and it's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you! =] experimentation is always fun!

    ReplyDelete