Saturday, February 4, 2012

25 Days of Style: a Fashion Blog series -- Day 25


     Could it be?? Did I make it to Day 25 at last??! It seems only yesterday that I came up with the brilliant beyond brilliant idea which could instantly turn into a disaster if done poorly. I made a promise to myself when I started this series to be true to who I am and my style aesthetics. Every single one of the looks featured in this series are looks that I've carefully put together as a new never-before-done ensemble out of my closet or looks that I've been wearing for quite sometime. When I started this fashion blog a year ago, my sister told me that if I wanted to be a serious editorial stylist I have to photograph myself in looks that I've put together instead of on the dress form. And I get what she means. Dress forms can be synonymous to store shop windows and displays and can be faceless and lifeless. With a real person, there's so much more life and movement to the clothes (as evident by my constant attempt to get a good action shot.) This entire process definitely hasn't been easy -- I had to style, photograph, edit, design, and write all of it myself -- but it definitely has been a lot of fun. One day, all I'm going to be doing is style the models to be shot in an editorial spread and have plenty of man/woman power to take care of everything else. I'm more comfortable behind the camera anyway, I just want to play and create stories with beautiful clothes. 

     So today's look puts together a lot of my favorite elements in clothes which are comfort, color, movement, and pizzaz (no, not pizza.. mmm.. pizza) I've had this dress with this beautiful accordion pleats in the skirt for quite sometime and it took me a while to figure out how to style it -- which is the norm when it comes to my creative styling process. Sometimes putting together outfits comes easy and other times, I get stumped on a particular piece, but I know that it has got real potential. Remember Cameron Diaz in the movie My Best Friend's Wedding when she said to Julia Roberts that "you wouldn't be comfortable unless you're distinctive." My approach when it comes to dressing is about the same process. I believe that style is something that's unique from person to person. Remember when I made the distinction between fashion and style? Well trends is also something that's completely different. Fashion is what we see on the runway, it's constantly changing -- some are new ideas, others are mere interpretation of what's been seen and done before. Style is what's personal to us as individuals, like how you wear a certain piece or style with accessories. Trend on the other hand is the influence of what's on the runway which has the capacity to repeat itself within the years. 

     When I get dressed in the morning, I usually stick to three things: my personal style, the classics (always reliable and timeless), and an eclectic mix of whatever it is that I'm in the mood for, the weather outside, and my own interpretation of the current trends. This is important because keeping up with what's being worn in fashion is important, but you need not look like a carbon copy version of Karlie Kloss out of the pages of Vogue, capiche? I know that sounds a bit contradictory but make the distinction quick! So in styling this dress, I just simply opted for a square floral scarf that has been folded into a triangle and worn like a necklace. And to make the look a little more casual, I just layered with a denim jacket to make the look more daytime appropriate and seersucker oxfords for comfort. I think this look is a nice reflection of the spring season that's just around the corner -- things are going to get colorful around here. 

     So many thanks for those of you who have kept up with this Fashion Blog series and I hope that you learned a few (or many!) styling tips along the way as well as something about yourself when it comes to your fashion sense. I've always believed that getting dressed is an art. Many think that fashion in itself is art, which is also true, but at the same time, I truly believe that the act of getting dressed itself is a true art form and a lost one at that. When you go to class or out in public to run an errand wearing sweatpants and a hoodie, it only communicates to others that your'e comfortable. It doesn't express much about the self respect that you have for yourself. I know that everyday is not a fashion show, but making a habit to look polished and put together, just to please yourself and no one else, is a good exercise. Because when you look good then you feel good, and when you feel good, your mood is uplifted and you feel much more confident in your skin. 

Love, KB












red pleated dress by Cooperative -- Urban Outfitters 
denim jacket by Hollister 
floral square scarf by Heritage 1981 
seer sucker oxfords by Steve Madden

3 comments:

  1. My name is Tom cam!!! i am very grateful sharing this great testimonies with you all, The best thing that has ever happened in my life, is how i worn the Powerball lottery. I do believe that someday i will win the Powerball lottery. finally my dreams came through when i contacted Dr. OSE and tell him i needed the lottery winning special numbers cause i have come a long way spending money on ticket just to make sure i win. But i never knew that winning was so easy with the help of Dr. OSE, until the day i meant the spell caster testimony online, which a lot of people has talked about that he is very powerful and has great powers in casting lottery spell, so i decided to give it a try. I emailed Dr. OSE and he did a spell and gave me the winning lottery special numbers 62, and co-incidentally I have be playing this same number for the past 23years without any winning, But believe me when I play the special number 62 this time and the draws were out i was the mega winner because the special 62 matched all five white-ball numbers as well as the Powerball, in the April 4 drawing to win the $70 million jackpot prize...… Dr. OSE, truly you are the best, with Dr. OSE you can will millions of money through lottery. i am a living testimony and so very happy i meant him, and i will forever be grateful to him...… you can Email him for your own winning special lottery numbers now oseremenspelltemple@gmail.com OR WHATSAPP him +2348136482342

    ReplyDelete
  2. DR EMU WHO HELP PEOPLE IN ANY TYPE OF LOTTERY NUMBERS

    It is a very hard situation when playing the lottery and never won, or keep winning low fund not up to 100 bucks, i have been a victim of such a tough life, the biggest fund i have ever won was 100 bucks, and i have been playing lottery for almost 12 years now, things suddenly change the moment i came across a secret online, a testimony of a spell caster called DR EMU, who help people in any type of lottery numbers, i was not easily convinced, but i decided to give try, now i am a proud lottery winner with the help of DR EMU, i won $1,000.0000.00 and i am making this known to every one out there who have been trying all day to win the lottery, believe me this is the only way to win the lottery.

    Contact him via email Emutemple@gmail.com
    What's app +2347012841542
    Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm Melvin Martins. from the United States. I started playing lottery games 7 years ago and I have never won big. I went online to seek help on how I can win big in my lottery games and I saw some nice reviews about Dr John who has made different people huge winners in their lottery games with his prayers. I gave it a try and I contacted Dr John who told me how and what to do before I can become a big lotto winner and I accepted. He made special prayers for me at his temple and gave me the required numbers to play the lotto game and when I played it, I won a massive $235.4 million POWERBALL jackpot. I was so happy and I chose to receive my winnings in a one-time, lump-sum payment of $160,038,447.27 at Florida Lottery Headquarters in Tallahassee and the balance was given to the store that I bought & played the game from. I would love other people to seek help from him and he can be contacted through WhatsApp/call/text via this number +1 (803) 820 2671 or you can email him on: Drjohnwinlotterspell@gmail.com .

    ReplyDelete