Award season is here! And like always, to start it all off is the 69th Annual Golden Globe Awards which took place this past Sunday, January 15. During the live viewing last night, I was asked why everyone make such a big deal of the red carpet fashion. Why? Because the dresses, glitz, and glamour of these award shows forever become part of pop culture history. I bet you know exactly what dress I'm talking when I say the words Julia Roberts - 2001 Oscars - Erin Brockovich. If you say that black and white monochromatic Valentino dress then you're correct! Or how about when Halle Berry won her first Oscar in 2002 as the first African American woman to win the best actress award for her role in Monster's Ball. I bet that the Elie Saab dress she wore (complete with strategically applied appliques) first comes to mind. Or how about the Rodarte dress (appropriately so) that Natalie Portman wore last year when she won the Oscar for best actress? Like I said -- award season-dresses-pop culture-fashion-history.
And during last night's red carpet fashion, there was definitely no shortage of more memorable looks that will now be part of pop culture and fashion history. There were definite trends going on last night, with blush hues and chandelier earrings being the most prominent -- along with long trains and bare backs! But my absolute favorite look last night was Charlize Theron in a pale hue Christian Dior! Everything about her look -- from the hair, make up, jewelry, and choice of shoes and hair accessory -- was perfectly balanced and elegant. The dress was definitely very provocative and super sexy (plunging neckline and leg slit.. ooh la la), but it didn't strike me as skanky. Jessica Biel and Hiedi Klum along with Elle McPherson were among the others who displayed this light/pale/blush hue trend. But I must admit that Michelle Williams in a navy blue Jason Wu gown was a close second (and no one else can pull off that pixie cut better than her!) which was a perfect choice for accepting her award for her role in My Week with Marilyn! (And a super heart-felt acceptance speech.)
Here's my top 10 list of my favorite looks from last night's Golden Globes!
1. Charlize Theron in Christian Dior - Perfection.
2. Michelle Williams in Jason Wu - Beyond gorgeous especially in vintage Fred Leighton headband!
3. Jessica Biel in Elie Saab - So elegant. JT is the luckiest!
4. Sofia Vergara in Vera Wang - Loved the long train. Finally had her twins contained and navy suits her well. Now she only needs to practice pronouncing "Wang"
5. Mila Kunis in Christian Dior - Such a classic and timeless look. Perfect as the new face of Dior.
6. Emma Stone in Lanvin - Loved the flowiness of the skirt and the statement belt.
7. Rooney Mara in Nina Ricci - Poor girl stuck with that awful Girl with the Dragon Tattoo haircut but the color and silhouette of the dress suits her well.
8. Zooey Deschanel in Prada - I love her Golden Globe look better from last year, but she still looked gorgeous and her hair was very mod.
9. Heidi Klum in Calvin Klein - Love the bare back and the pops of color from her jewelry.
10. Claire Danes in J. Mendel - Love the monochromatic look and again the sexy bare back.
Light Pale Hue Trend