The moment that I figured out that my love always lies in clothes and styling and that I could translate that into an actual career as a stylist, it wasn't hard to decide what kind of stylist that I wanted to be. The moment that I saw Grace Coddington's work lit up in the pages of Vogue, specifically the December 2003 issue with the Alice in Wonderland editorial spread, I had absolutely no doubt in my mind that this is what I wanted to do. But the more I looked into it and researched it, I quickly figured out that there were other types of stylists outside the T.V. realm of the Rachel Zoe Project.
As a matter of fact, Rachel Zoe, as a (1) Celebrity Stylist is only one of the eight types of specific styling jobs there is in the industry. There are also (2) Fashion Editorial Stylist (like Grace) (3) Advertising Stylist, (4) Personal Stylist (basically the same as the celebrity stylist minus the celebrity and/or the red carpet) (5) Wardrobe Stylist, (6) Personal Shopper (like the ones you see in Nordstrom and Neiman Marcus with the fancy offices!) (7) Television Wardrobe Stylist, and (8) Assistant Stylist. I'm sure a lot of these roles can be compacted into one title, but for the sake of being utterly specific, and my Secrets of Stylists book, let's just assume that they can be broken up into those individual labels.
And speaking of Rachel Zoe, if you watched the fourth season of the Rachel Zoe Project (the one when Rachel Zoe is pregnant and inevitably gives birth to Skyler, starts her Rachel Zoe collection which was picked up by Neiman Marcus, Roger was completely annoying, and they got that new styling associate Jeremiah) then you'd know that during her pregnancy, she was photographed by The Hollywood Reporter to be featured on their very first Power Stylists issue where Rachel landed the number one spot. This year, however, the Hollywood Reporter said that since Rachel launched her successful collection, that she was too big (like successful and famous kind of big) to be featured on this year's list. But, that doesn't stop them from taking a couple of photographs of the mogul mom with baby Skyler (out of the womb debut this time.) To read that particular story, click here. As for the top 25 stylists of 2012, the list is as follows:
- Kate Young. Clients include Michelle Williams, Natalie Portman, Rachel Weisz
- Leslie Fremar. Clients include Charlize Theron, Julianne Moore, and Reese Witherspoon.
- Petra Flannery. Clients include Emma Stone, Claire Danes, Zoe Saldana, Mila Kunis, and Megan Fox
- Elizabeth Stewart. Clients include Jessica Chastain, Viola Davis, Freida Pinto, and Jennifer Lawrence.
- Kemal Harris and Karla Welch. Clients include Olivia Wilde, Haille Steinfeld, Zooey Deschanel, and Stacy Keibler.
- Jen Rade. Clients include Angelina Jolie, Pink, and Katherine McPhee.
- Ryan Hastings. Clients include Rooney Mara and Mia Wasikowska.
- Samantha McMillen. Clients include Carey Mulligan, Evan Rachel Wood, Dakota and Elle Fanning.
- Deb Waknin. Clients include Sofia Vergara, Sandra Bullock, Diane Keaton, and Halle Berry.
- Christina Ehrlich. Clients include Penelope Cruz, Amy Adams, Amber Heard, and Tina Fey.
- Jeanne Yang. Clients include Katie Holmes, Tom Cruise, Andrew Garfield, and Christian Bale.
- L'Wren Scott. Clients include Nicole Kidman and Sarah Jessica Parker.
- Rob Zangardi and Mariel Haenn. Clients include Jennifer Lopez, Rihanna, Rachel McAdams, and Lily Collins.
- Elizabeth Saltzman. Gwyneth Paltrow is a client.
- Cher Coulter. Clients include Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, Kate Bosworth, and Elizabeth Olsen.
- Leith Clark. Clients include Kiera Knightley and Kirsten Dunst.
- Jessica Paster. Clients include Emily Blunt, Felicity Jones, Andrea Riseborough, and Ellie Kemper.
- Penny Lovell. Clients include Rose Byrne and Ginnifer Goodwin.
- Wendi and Nicole Ferreira. Clients include Octavia Spencer, Elizabeth Banks, Channing Tatum, and Josh Hutcherson.
- Brad Goreski. Clients include Jessica Alba, Rashida Jones, Maya Rudolph and Demi Moore.
- Nicole Chavez. Clients include Rachel Bilson, Kristen Bell, and Catherine Zeta-Jones.
- Johnny Wujek. Clients include Katy Perry, Kate Mara, and Nicki Minaj.
- George Kotsiopoulos. Clients include Janet McTeer and Alice Eve.
- Arienne Phillips. Madonna is a client.
- Ilaria Urbanti. Clients include Nina Dobrev, Krysten Ritter, Bradley Cooper, and Armie Hammer.
Now that you're equipped with that information and award season is over, you now know who's responsible for some of the bad red carpet looks (aka Anjelina Jolie's leg at this year's Oscars. What was up with that??) and which stylists to praise. I knew there was a reason why I love Olivia Wilde and Zooey Deschanel's styling so much.. they share the same creative mind in their stylist! Now enjoy the rest of the editorials from this year's Power Stylist Issue!
|Rachel Zoe's 2011 Hollywood Reporter's 25 Most Powerful Stylists Cover|