Thursday, March 15, 2012

Video Obsession: The Making of a CHANEL Jacket


     From time to time I would randomly go on eBay and search vintage CHANEL jackets just so I can fantasize about being able to purchase one someday. And one morning, I came across the perfect one -- It was in the classic black and white Chanel tweed with top and bottom bow enclosures and it was just my size. It was everything I ever wanted in a Chanel jacket. It was meant to be. Inevitably, I looked at the asking price and I almost choked on my morning English Breakfast tea when I saw that the staring bid was at +$2,500. To be fair, when I say the words "vintage Chanel Jacket" that really translates into "Karl Lagerfeld for Chanel" (Kaiser Karl has been designing for the iconic fashion house since 1983 for goodness sake. Even before I was born!) Because I'm pretty sure that any genuine Chanel that was designed by Coco Chanel herself would be worth a lot more and will probably not be up for sale on the Internet. And correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that this particular jacket I found on eBay is from the 2005 RTW collection? 

     So until we all can shamelessly afford a piece of Karl Lagerfeld for Chanel, this video of the making of a the iconic chain-lined tweed Chanel jacket in black, produced by Fashionologie, will suffice. The delicate crafts(wo)manship and the attention to detail in creating just one of these jackets is incredible. If you pay close attention to the video, you'll notice that almost all of the construction of the this black jacket is done by hand in the Chanel atelier which justifies the value and worth of these jackets. I once told my mom that the moment that I make it as a fashion editorial stylist for a Conde Nast publication, that my first pay check will go towards two vintage Chanel jackets and a two pairs of Christian Louboutins. One for her and the other for me. Oui! Oui! To watch the video , please click the link below. 


Love, KB


No comments:

Post a Comment