Thursday, April 28, 2011

Fashion Blog's 7 Most Memorable Wedding Dresses in Movies

     With the Kate Middleton and Price William Royal Wedding fast approaching, my mind has been pre-nuptually occupied with everything wedding related. So I thought it was only fitting to write a Fashion Blog dedicated to my most favorite wedding dresses of all time. And what leaves a more lasting impression than a wedding dress we've all seen and have obsessed over in movies! So for this special edition of Fashion Blog's 7 Most Memorable Wedding Dresses in Movies, I'd like to share the wedding dresses that tops my list. 

#1 Kate Hudson in Bride Wars 
as Liv Lerner 

     When I first saw Kate Hudson's character Liv Lerner lay eyes on her wedding dress in the movie Bride Wars, I knew that that's exactly how I want my wedding gown to look like when I get married. The dress has all the features that I would want from a wedding dress: strapless, sweetheart neckline, a big and fluffy tulle skirt, and a waist cinching bow. It's exactly how I would want my (future) wedding gown to be, except for maybe a different color bow. But then again, it wouldn't be Vera Wang wedding dress without a hint of purple or lavender! 



#2 Sasha Barrese in The Hangover
as Tracy Garner 

     Even though Sasha Barrese's character, Tracy, had a very small (but significant!) and short-lived role in the comedy The Hangover, the moment they showed her dress, I literally gasped. I lovelovelove how her entire wedding party had a black and white color scheme. It's very modern and chic. Her dress, which was designed by Amsale, was breathtaking. The dress also had a sweetheart neckline (I'm a sucker for strapless dresses with sweetheart necklines!) and a natural and flowy waist (love!) The simplicity of the dress is what made it so beautiful. 




#3 Sarah Jessica Parker in 
Sex and the City the Movie 
as Carrie Bradshaw 

     Of course I had to include Carrie Bradshaw's Vivienne Westwood wedding dress from the Sex and the City The Movie! It was the perfect dress to be featured in this movie: it had drama, it was high fashion, and it had pizzaz, which was everything that the Sex and the City franchise was all about. I even loved the fact that her accessories centered around the feathered hair piece. Any more jewelry other than her earrings would've looked too costume-y. Pat Field, you've done it again! I'm also crazy about the fact that all of her bridesmaids -- Samantha, Charlotte, and Miranda -- had different Zac Posen bridesmaid dresses! (different in color and in style.) 




#4 Mandy Moore in License to Wed 
as Sadie Jones 

     Even though this was not the dress that Mandy Moore's character, Sadie Jones, wore on her wedding day in the movie License to Wed, I still thought that it was stunning despite her sister's (played by Christine Taylor) "down comforter" comment about it. I'm not too crazy about the back criss cross detail of the dress, but I thought that the explosion of tulle in the skirt was just gorgeous. 



#5 Bridgette Wilson in 
The Wedding Planner 
as Fran Donolly 

     I would choose a strapless wedding dress any day, but this dress that Bridgette Wilson wore on The Wedding Planner was an exception. I remember when the camera was up close and scanning the dress, as she was looking at herself in the mirror moments before she was to walk down the aisle, it showed the most beautiful details. First of all, the bodice of the dress was beautifully made: lots of intricate lace details, buttons (as closures instead of zippers!), and an exaggerated scooped back which made the thin straps completely necessary. Oh, and I love how she had little sparkles in her hair! 



#6 Reese Witherspoon in 
Sweet Home Alabama
as Melanie Smooter

     If there was a wedding-movie-category for the best wedding veil, Reese Witherspoon as Melanie Smooter in Sweet Home Alabama would win that category by a landslide. I love how she opted for a fishnet veil as opposed to the traditional long and flowy one. The modern take on her veil is balanced out by the simple and romantic design of her gown, which was the perfect choice for a southern belle wedding. 




#7 Rachel McAdams in 
The Notebook 
as Allie Calhoun 

     I have to admit, as soon as the curtains were pulled to the side to reveal Rachel McAdams as Allie in The Notebook, and she asked "Is it a bit much?" My instinctual reactions was "OMG, yes!". And once I thought about the time frame to which the movie took place, it was actually very pretty and consistent with that era. The entire look overall was definitely a lot altogether, but all the details on their own were very beautiful. The dress by itself was beautiful. The long sleeves, which were also made entirely of lace, were a very common feature to wedding dresses at the time. And I thought that the flower head piece that was connected to her veil was pretty. 



Love, KB

25 comments:

  1. My favorite is Carrie Bradshaw's Vivienne Westwood wedding dress :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Do you know if they make any plugins to safeguard against hackers? I'm kinda paranoid about losing everything I've worked hard on. Any suggestions?
    light blue bridesmaid dresses

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently found your blog and have been reading along. I thought I could leave my first comment. I don't know very well what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I could keep visiting this blog very often.royal blue bridesmaid dresses

    ReplyDelete
  5. Buy our wedding gown in Hong Kong, and make your wedding truly memorable. We offer a wide variety of wedding dresses, and the party wears dresses at Noel Chu Atelier!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice post about wedding gown, If you are looking for some trendy women's online boutique with a multitude of styles and fits, colors

    ReplyDelete
  7. This Is An Excellent Post I Seen. I Have To Thanks To You To Share It It Is Really What I Wanted To See Hope In Future You Will Continue For Sharing.
    Bridal Gown Store Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  8. In any wedding, elegantly crafted designer wedding dresses are the most attraction. People come to wedding and enjoy ambiance with their pretty dress makes the wedding memorable.
    Wedding Services

    ReplyDelete
  9. This Is An Excellent Post I Seen. I Have To Thanks To You To Share It It Is Really What I Wanted To See Hope In Future You Will Continue For Sharing.
    Bridal Gown Store Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, I think your website might be having browser compatibility issues. When I look at your website in Chrome, it looks fine but when opening in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping. I just wanted to give you a quick heads up! Other then that, superb blog!
    beach wedding dresses

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice to see that. You mention this nicely. If you guys need high quality wedding dresses then visit us here Reflections Wedding Dresses

    ReplyDelete
  12. Valuable info. Lucky me I found your site by accident, and I am shocked why this accident did not happened earlier! I bookmarked it.pink prom dresses

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like your post. It is good to see you verbalize from the heart and clarity on this important subject can be easily observed... Standesamtkleider Berlin

    ReplyDelete
  14. Curvy Brautmode Berlin I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable. therefore, I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for sharing these pictures with us. Keep sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  16. As there are numerous shops that offer an exclusive collection of Gold Bridesmaid Dresses – from metal gold, champagne gold to rose gold and gold sequin, choosing dresses for your squad that will add glitz and glamor to the party, will not be a strenuous task for you. However, the look seems incomplete until your girls team it up with the right makeup.

    ReplyDelete
  17. best wedding dress shops los angeles pebbles bridal I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable. therefore, I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice blog and absolutely outstanding. You can do something much better but i still say this perfect.Keep trying for the best. Brautkleider Berlin

    ReplyDelete
  19. At BX Bridals, our primary objective is to equip all the ladies looking for a wedding dress with an ultimate fit and design of their dreams, offering the best of the best when it comes to bridal and prom dresses.
    Brides Watford
    Custom Made Bridal Dress
    Custom Made Dinner Suit

    ReplyDelete