Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Magazine Covergirl: Harper's Bazaar -- Lady Gaga (May 2011)


"I have never had plastic surgery, and there are many pop singers who have. I think that promoting insecurity in the form of plastic surgery is infinitely more harmful than an artistic expression related to body modification."

top and skirt by Versace

"It's not [hard to give up the glamorous life] if it doesn't mean anything to you. What means something to me is my music. I don't want to make money; I want to make a difference."
     
     This is how much of a Lady Gaga fan I am: The day that her guest appearance and performance on Ellen was supposed to air, there was a freak tornado watch all over the state of Florida and the local news has taken over the time slot when the show was scheduled to be on. Needless to say, I was utterly upset and screaming "There are only dark clouds in the sky! There's absolutely no wind gust! It's fine! It's fine! Turn it back on!" The show never aired but another Little Monster did send me the YouTube clips of her interview and her first performance of Judas on live television. Why the obsession? Because right after attending one of her Monster Ball shows, I've had a new found respect and appreciation for her as an artist, performance artist, and as a person and this May 2011 Harper's Bazaar cover story just confirmed those thoughts. 

     In the cover story, which was shot by Terry Richardson, Mother Monster tells Harper's Bazaar that her new look -- a series of sharp bones that protude from her shoulders, cheekbones, and temples -- are not "prosthetics" but rather her "bones" that have always been inside of her and only come out when she's "inspired." In her 60 Minutes interview with  Anderson Cooper, she told him that she doesnt put anything on her body or portray art in her show that she doesn't know or understand. While the artist and inspiration behind these so-called bones are unknown, (or perhaps an original Gaga creation?) I get it. 


     And in terms of fashion Gaga talked about the two greatest influences in her life: her stylist Nicola Formichetti, the greatest fashion love affair and the creative genius behind her look, who also styled this cover shoot, and the late and great Alexander McQueen, the reason why the release date for her new album Born This Way is going to be scheduled exactly one year after his tragic death. Mother Monster thinks that after his death, McQueen began working through her saying that "I think he planned the whole thing: Right after he died, I wrote 'Born This Way.' I think he's up in heaven with fashion strings in his hands, marionetting away, planning this whole thing. When I heard that, I knew he planned the whole damn thing. I didn't even write the fucking song. He did!" McQueen afterlife intention or not, all I know is that the McQueen + Gaga fusion is the most perfect fashion mixture of all time. C'mon, no one can wear those famous Alexander McQueen armadillo shoes than Gaga. 


     So come check out the rest of Lady Gaga's cover shoot in the May 2011 issue of Harper's Bazaar. But heads up, watch out for boobs! After all, it wouldn't be a Gaga cover shoot unless there's something completely over the top in there. 



jacket, pants, and shoes by Thierry Mugler

dress by Dior Haute Couture / mask by Thierry Mugler

bra by Kiki de Montparnassee / stockings by Levante /
shoes by Alexander McQueen

dress by Tex Saverio

dress and mask by Alexander McQueen

body suit by Francesco Scognamiglio

Love, KB

No comments:

Post a Comment